Sr. Network Firewall Security Engineer
Houston, TX 77046 US | Work from home flexibility TELECOMMUTE US
The Sr. Network Firewall Security Engineer is the network firewall security SME in the analysis, assessment, development, and evaluation of network security solutions and architectures to secure networks, applications, operating systems, and databases. This position is an SME position on the network architect and engineering team and is the security liaison for the team. This role is hands on design and implementation of various network security stack architectures with a primary focus on Palo Alto firewalls. Additionally, the Sr. Network Firewall Security Engineer assists in the development of network security requirements, assists in technical regulatory compliance efforts, evaluates security services and technologies, and reviews and documents information security policies and procedures as well as provides monitoring and oversight for alerts in this environment to hand off to Operations.
The Sr. Network Firewall Security Engineer has a broad, generalist knowledge of on-prem infrastructure security and knowledge in public cloud infrastructure and automation. They will ideally have a specialist area in network security (firewalls, DMZ, Segmentation, ADC, WAF, DDOS, redundancy architectures, end point security, etc.), but are able to turn their attention to and learn something new rapidly. This role will include capabilities on presenting network security solution design options for securing Internet and Partner facing architectures, container security, multi-cloud, and end point security awareness.
- Strong Understanding of Palo Alto Firewalls
- Understands network and cloud firewall deployments and architectures.
- Architecting and Engineering security for Internet facing web applications
- SME for network security on-prem and cloud architectures
- Understanding various vendor solutions that are used to secure various architectures.
- Proactively identify and determine priority for any network security gaps.
- Mentors other Network Engineers for security best practices
- Escalation for all Firewall related escalations from engineering and ops teams
- Works with security teams to create and/or steer processes for identifying and remediating vulnerabilities and risk.
- Bridge the gap between security engineering and network engineering.
- Serve as point of escalation point for network security solutions.
- Keep abreast of new cloud and automation developments, evaluate alternative approaches, and recommend new software or modifications which enhance operations and development activities.
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations to improve availability, reliability, efficiency, performance and overall service within the distributed computing environment and associated departments.
- Provide clear documentation of technical solutions and communicate plans to management and customers.
- Perform related duties as required or assigned.
- 7-10 years’ experience managing various network architectures.
- 5+ years’ experience on Palo Alto firewalls and securing Internet facing applications.
- 3+ years of experience in Public Cloud technologies including AWS and Microsoft Azure specifically in networking and security solutions and implementation.
- 5+ years of technical experience with network security technologies (ex. Firewalls, proxy, and network segmentation)
- Experience in DevOps scripting and automation using tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, and/or terraform.
- Understanding of Openshift, Docker and Kubernetes container environment
- Experience with DLP, WAF, DDOS, IPS/IDS
- Experience with Palo Cloud, SOAR, Twistlock, Redlock and Prisma Access
- Experience with various endpoint security solutions
- Information Technology/Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Information Technology/Cisco Certified Network Professional Security (CCNP)
- Information Technology/Linux+ Certification - Computing Technology Industry Association (Comp TIA)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science
Meet Your Recruiter
Senior Recruiting Consultant
Melissa has 9 years of technical recruiting experience within IT, Engineering, and Professional Service industries. She thoroughly enjoys connecting and helping candidates & clients in finding the right fit. Melissa has a bachelor’s degree in social work with a minor in psychology from Southern Illinois University.